Public-Private Partnerships

DTA staff has worked with clients to obtain funding for both private development and public infrastructure through a variety of private sector sources and from state and local funding programs that are discussed elsewhere on this website. Private sector funding has been provided through both equity investments and loans, with public infrastructure being conveyed to public agencies through long-term leases. Conversely, DTA is actively involved in over a dozen projects utilizing tax-exempt lease revenue bonds issued through a nonprofit entity and then involving the private sector through land and project leases, developer payments, and long-term management contracts now permitted by the Internal Revenue Service under new safe harbor regulations for management contracts. This funding has been combined with Community Facilities District (“CFD”), Enhanced Infrastructure Financing District (“EIFD”), and Property Assessed Clean Energy (“PACE”) bond financing to ensure the viability of proposed projects. Additionally, DTA has been active in the New Markets Tax Credit (“NMTC”) Program, as noted elsewhere on this website, and has prepared the business plans and economic development justification studies necessary for funding to be awarded through this program.

DTA’s responsibilities related to public-private partnerships include:

  • Determining which specific public finance programs best fit our clients’ project funding needs;
  • Preparing funding applications;
  • Structuring public-private partnerships by combining a variety of funding sources, many of which are listed under “Public Infrastructure and Services Financing” on this website;
  • Representing our clients’ interests when dealing with public agencies, including state and Federal governments, Joint Powers Authorities (“JPAs”), conventional lenders, and land developers; and
  • For California, working with client advocacy consulting firms in Sacramento, with whom we have long standing relationships, to optimize our clients’ ability to obtain state funding when available.
Contact Now